Thursday, April 15, 2010

Finishing The Album: Step 3

Before I went to sleep last night, I realized I had a problem. Cubase 5 does not come packaged with a number of effects that were used by Bill on his mix of "Drinks". ModDelay, Compression, and three others were all showing as missing. I spent some time trying to find them and/or configure them, but it turned out to be too big of a pain.

Then, as I drifted off to sleep, I had a bit of a revelation.

So this morning, I removed Cubase 5, and re-installed Cubase SX. I loaded Drinks into SX, and sure enough, all of the filters were there.

The main reason I installed 5 was because it included AutoTune... or so I thought. Turns out AutoTune is a third party product that is sold separately. You can download a trial version from the website of the manufacturer here. Since it's a plug in, I have to believe Cubase sx also supports it... which it does.

So I installed AutoTune, and all is right in the world.

The only bummer is that I will need to repeat the changes I made to Drinks last night, as the cubase project files are not entirely backwards compatible. Not a big deal, as it was under an hour of work, and there was nothing I did that I could not easily repeat.

Though this constitutes "one thing" that I did toward the album today, I believe I will spend some more time this evening getting Drinks back up to speed.

No comments: