Monday, April 26, 2010

Finishing The Album: Step 22 - Last Sweep For Tech Errors

After listening to the CD this weekend on my way to Indianapolis and back, I picked up on a number of little technical glitches. Sadly, I did not write them down, so I have set myself to the task of going through each song one last time looking for little glitches that I am unhappy with, that I think can be fixed with the magic of cubase.

So far, I have worked my way through Above You, April, and Armageddon Is Here. The first two had no problems. When I got to Armageddon, I remembered something.

On many songs, I ran my voice through Autotune. It's interesting, because there's a little meter on the dashboard that shows how much "work" autotune is doing to correct the vocal track. It looks like on a lot of notes, I am a bit flat. As opposed to sharp, I mean. But sometimes, I go way out of whack, and autotune doesn't quite know what to do with it. Now, I'm sure that if I was really familiar with autotune, I could fiddle with the knobs and get to be just right. But I'm not, and I don't have the time to become a master. I find that when you put it on the default settings, it fixes 95% of the problems.

But along the way, it sometimes creates some. Like when it hits a note, which maybe is right in the middle of a specific range, and it choses the wrong direction to correct it. I'm sure I'm oversimplifying, but you get the idea.

In Armageddon, there were two spots where it kind of dorked up the line. It was right on "The world is gonna end today". I guess there's a not in there that is not easy for me to hit every time. Long story short, I found one of the refrains where I DID get it just right, and I grafted that part over on top of the two sections where I did it wrong. I tried un-autotuning those two parts, but it still sounded a bit wonky. I did indeed miss the note.

At the end of the day, the vocal now sounds really good, and it's all ironed out. I only did three songs tonight, and now it is time for bed. But this way, I will have some more work to do tomorrow.

No comments: