Saturday, February 23, 2008

Moving Water from Place to Place

So, you want to know about the Irrigation Song, do you?

I could just have responded to this post, but I figured no one would actually notice it back there. Besides, this means I can start off with a fresh post, still with that new post smell.

This song was written to win a wager against a guy who was living in Rich Amtower's pantry. Rich lived in Campus Village at UCI at the time, and there were quite a few odd ducks living in or around that particular apartment, including the Mysterious Mr. Fong (Rich's room mate who no one ever saw) and this guy that was living on a mattress in the walk-in pantry. I can't remember his name but he was I now recognize as a missing link between Goth and Emo and he was dating Rich's bisexual dancer friend. We were discussing whether or not there were appropriate and inappropriate subjects for songs and Rich and I bet him that it was possible to write a song about any subject.

We won the bet (which obviously had a pretty low threshold for victory) with this little gem:
The Irrigation Song
Irrigation!
Moving water from place to place
Irrigation!
Growing crops for the human race

I'm pretty sure that there wasn't any more to it. The first attempt to convey the majesty of this song to Bill resulted in Probably Not instead, so it really all worked out for the best. 

2 comments:

Don's Drums said...

(Sniffs the new post smell)

Vic's here!

Yesterday I forwarded Bill the lyrics to the Vampire Weekend song "a-punk" to show him how you can make a popular song with absolute nonsense lyrics.

I had to actually look up the lyrics because I couldn't make any sense of them when listening to the song.

Swamptooth said...

Whoo-hoo!

That's what I'm talking about.

I had NO idea this much backstory existed. Funny stuff. If you ask me, this has all the elements of a perfect post (except maybe an accompanying photo). Come to think of it, I do really vaguely remember something about the pantry dweller.

Well done opening shot.