With a lot of logistical details behind me, I'm finally settling in for the final stretch on the production and eventual release of the Black and Blue album.
It has definitely been a long road, one much longer than I originally anticipated. I'm sure Bill feels the same way. As has been mentioned before, both on this blog and off, I think the real lesson learned here is that the old saying about "out of sight, out of mind" applies to BNB. My departure to Ohio definitely put a kink in the plans. I truly believe that had I remained in Orange County, things would have materialized much faster.
With that mea culpa behind me, work begins.
Last weekend, I swiped/swooped all of the cubase files from Bill that he has worked on. I recently transferred them all to my PC. I also started a spreadsheet to track progress on each song. I call it a "Change Control Log." This will help me keep track of the things I do to each song, and also which file is the most current version. Right now, we have multiple copies of songs floating around on my hard drive, and I want to make sure I'm using the most current version.
For this I will be making some assumptions. I'm basically going to be using all of Bill's files as the benchmark. If there were songs he did not make any changes to, this simply means that the mixes we have to date are the ones we are going with, minus any adjustments to the master volume. I will also assume that the most recent version of Bill's files that he DID make changes to is the one that he wants included in the album. If this assumption is incorrect, it will need to be corrected quickly.
My sincerest hope is that the primary effort here will simply be one of adjusting master volume. I may need to do some retro corrections to things where perhaps Bill did not understand what I was hoping to accomplish, and accidentally undid. Of course, these will require a BNB T-Conf to remediate.
My last deliverable for tonight is to install CuBase on my PC. I recently did a full Hard Drive wipe after I started experiencing problems. Maybe it was just getting old, I don't know, but it's back up to speed now.