Thursday, June 5, 2008

Strings for a Fat Chick.

This past weekend, Bill and I recorded most of the tracks for our first cover, REM's (Don't go back to)Rockville. I'll try to get in a detailed write up of the festivities later, but right now, I want to talk about my recent accomplishments.

And they're not very big, so don't get your hopes up.

For this recording, Bill requested that I bring along my classical guitar. You know, to inject a new sound into a recording. I was totally up for it. What threw me was how Bill referred to the guitar. To protect the guilty, I'll change the names, but he basically said something like "Hey, bring Bianca with you".

My first reaction? Who the hell is Bianca, and why does Bill want me to bring her?

Then I remembered that we (the Stickmen) went through a period where we named all of our instruments. For some lame reason, I decided to name my instruments after girl friends, as I typically had one each time I got a new guitar. So this particular guitar was named after Bianca.

But like I said, that totally threw me, until I remembered who Bianca was, and that a guitar was named after her. But I didn't like it. So I demanded that from now on, the guitar be referred to as "Fat Chick". Totally appropriate, and would save me the trauma of wondering what the heck Bill was talking about.

I brort Fat Chick with me up to Bills' place, er, I mean the recording studio. We had just finished up the vocals, and were ready to move on to recording FC. I opened the case, only to find that one of the strings was busted. Or "Bust-ayat". Bummed, I went home without recording that part.

Anyhow, I made it to the music store in Irvine yesterday and picked up a set of nylon strings, along with some felt pics for the bass. Looks like I'm going to be doing the bass line for Rockville, and I like to use picks when I do that. So I'm all equipped!

That's about the long and the short of it.

No comments: