Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Stickmen-REM Summit

After years of accusations that the Stickmen/My New Invention "sound like REM," members of our two bands finally got together this past Saturday to hash things out once and for all.  Victor Allen spoke for my band, LA-based My New Invention (formerly known as The Stickmen), while Peter Buck graciously represented Athens Georgia's finest, REM.  The meeting took place on musically neutral ground: Seattle, Washington.

Victor tells the story:
Lisa and I were walking home from our favorite breakfast spot, which takes us past our local record shop: Easy Street Records. Lisa remembered that Record Store Day was this weekend, so we popped in to support our shop and pick up some music that were hadn't gotten around to purchasing yet. The place was packed. I was reminded of hanging out at Tower Records in El Toro before they folded.

After browsing a while I found myself standing in front of the display for the new R.E.M. album Collapse, trying to decide if I wanted to buy it. As I was pondering this decision, the store manager came on the PA system and announced, "Thanks everyone for coming out for Record Store Day! We're very happen to have Peter Buck working the registers again. We're his home away from home here, so make him feel welcome. Be sure to stop by and say hi!" That made my decision easy.

While standing in line waiting for my turn, I watched Peter interact with other fans. He's a really laid back, friendly guy. The gal in front of me in line brought a big pile of LPs and he signed them all without any sign of irritation. She apologized for bringing so many things and he shrugged it off, "Don't worry about it, I don't have anywhere I need to be."

When my turn came up, he shook my hand and asked who to sign the album to, I told him and then admitted, "My band in college started out practically as an R.E.M. cover band."

Peter: "That's really great. I love to hear things like that. I have younger friends in the industry and they've told me the same thing. I think its cool. What did you play?"
Me: "We played everything we could learn off of Document and Fables... plus a couple of La's songs."
Peter: "The La's are great."

After signing the album, we had our quick photo op. Turns out he's at least 6' 2".
Peter Buck and Victor Allen

As I was turning to leave, he said, "So... you want a poster?" Then he signed and gave me a poster.

Sometimes you meet someone that you've admired or emulated and the experience is really disappointing, this was the opposite. Peter Buck is a great guy and genuinely enjoys meeting his fans.

So that's it.  Well done, Peter and Vic.  I think we can consider the hatchet buried.  REM is "cool" with the Stickmen sounding like REM.

For the record, I still don't really hear the resemblance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool story billy! it's ani. totally a fluke how i stumbled on this website/blog!!! so surprised to see you are still part of stickmen, or should i say that stickmen is still part of you! tell lisa i said hi. hope to see those adorable nieces/nephew of yours soon. hopefully we can all hang out soon and have little reunion of the old gang. tell don hi for me too if you still talk to him! would love to hear how he's doin'

anika
abright2s@yahoo.com